- Guidelines for Cancer Pain Management in Substance Misusers
- ICSI Health Care Guideline: Adult Low Back Pain
- Evidence-Based Guideline: Treatment of Painful Diabetic Neuropathy
- Comprehensive Consensus Based Guidelines on Intrathecal Drug Delivery Systems in the Treatment of Pain Caused by Cancer Pain Guidelines
- Canadian Guideline for Safe and Effective Use of Opioids for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain
- VA/DOD Guidelines for Managing Opioid Therapy
- Practice Guidelines for Chronic Pain Management: An Updated Report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Chronic Pain Management and the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
- Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Chronic Opioid Therapy in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Guidelines for Controlled Trials of Drugs in Tension-type Headache: Second Edition International Headache Society
- The Pharmacological Management of Persistent Pain in Older Persons (2009) Guideline The American Geriatrics Society
- Getting Started: Guidelines and Suggestions for those Starting a Hospice / Palliative Care Service 2nd Edition
- Clinical Guideline Number 9 AHCPR Publication No. 94-0592
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Clinical Practice Guidelines Manejo del Dolor por Cancer (In Spanish)
- CDC Vitalsigns™ – Prescription Painkiller Overdoses – A growing epidemic, especially among women
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research
- A Call to Revolutionize Chronic Pain Care in America: An Opportunity in Health Care Reform Mayday Fund Report
Legal and Regulatory
- DEA Ready To Recognize LTC Nurse As Agent Of The Prescriber
- Secure and Responsible Drug Disposal Act of 2010
- Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substance - DEA Interim Final Rule
- Model Policy for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain
©Copyright May 2004 by the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States, Inc.
- CFR Title 21 Chapter II
(folder contains individual Sections 1300 to 1316 as PDFs)
Code of Federal Regulations. 21 CFR Ch. II (4-1-02 Edition).
- The American College of Rheumatology Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia and Measurement of Symptom Severity
- Family Caregivers, Patients and Physicians: Ethical Guidance to Optimize Relationships
American College of Physicians
- The IAHPC Manual of Palliative Care 2nd Edition
- ASAM Public Policy Statement Office-based Opioid Agonist Treatment (OBOT)
- ASAM Public Policy Statement Rapid and Ultra Rapid Opioid Detoxification
Drug Abuse Reports
- Drugs, Brains, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Reprinted February 2008
- Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights - 2007
National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services
April 1, 2009
- The National Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Strategy (2009)
The Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence (CLAAD) and the Human Resources
Development Institute, Inc. (HRDI)
- KnowPain-50: A Tool for Assessing Physician Pain Management Education
- Prescribing controlled substances in long-term care: Tips for practicing clinicians on the go
- The concept of addiction in law and regulatory policy related to pain management: a critical review
- Hypermedia Assistant for Cancer Pain Management
- Achieving the Right Balance in Oversight of Physician Opioid Prescribing for Pain:
The Role of State Medical Boards.
Hoffmann DE, Tarzian AJ. J Law Med Ethics. 2003;31(1):21-40.
- Disciplinary Actions and Pain Relief: Analysis of the Pain Relief Act
Johnson SH. J Law Med Ethics. 1996;24(4):319-327.
- Controlled substances and pain management:
Regulatory oversight, formularies, and cost decisions.
Pisano DJ. J Law Med Ethics. 1996;24(4):310-316.
- Opioid therapy for chronic nonmalignant pain: Clinicians'perspective.
Portenoy RK. J Law Med Ethics. 1996;24(4):296-309.